If you’re on the hunt for some fresh inspiration for Arizona backyard ideas with a pool to transform your space into the talk of the neighborhood, you’ve struck gold. This article is your treasure map to a backyard that not only sizzles with style but also offers a cool escape from our toasty afternoons. Stick with us, and you’ll walk away brimming with inspiration to create an outdoor oasis that’s as inviting as a dip in a cool pool on a hot July day.
We have over 10 years of experience building luxury pools in Arizona and Nuview Pools & Landscaping is here to guide you with top-notch advice that’s been tried, tested, and loved by homeowners just like you.
Key Takeaways (TL:DR)
- Quality materials like Travertine pavers and Pebble Tec® finishes are essential for withstanding the Arizona climate while maintaining the pool’s aesthetic appeal.
- Desert-adapted plants and efficient shade structures are key to creating a comfortable and sustainable poolside environment.
- Water features and fire elements can be integrated into custom pool designs to enhance the sensory experience and extend usability into cooler evenings.
- Multi-functional areas that combine cooking, lounging, and entertainment options elevate the poolside to a central living space.
- Zen gardens and reflection spaces offer a peaceful counterpoint to the activity of the pool. They provide a serene area for relaxation and meditation.
- Smart landscaping choices, energy-efficient pool equipment, and water conservation strategies are crucial for maintaining an eco-friendly and cost-effective backyard oasis.
- UV-resistant outdoor furnishings ensure long-term durability and sustained color vibrancy in the harsh Arizona sun.
- Adding a putting green can introduce a unique and engaging element to the backyard, blending leisure with the love of golf.
How to protect your backyard from the Arizona Sun
In the relentless Arizona sun, where temperatures soar and the rays beat down without mercy, quality and durable materials aren’t just a choice—they’re a necessity. These stalwart selections stand as your backyard’s first line of defense, ensuring that your poolside paradise remains as vibrant and inviting as the day it was completed, without succumbing to the harsh desert elements.
- Travertine Pavers: Cool to the touch and resistant to temperature extremes, travertine pavers provide a slip-resistant surface that keeps its composure under the sun’s scrutiny.
- Pebble Tec® Pool Finishes: Known for their longevity and aesthetic appeal, Pebble Tec® finishes offer a naturally textured surface that’s as durable as it is beautiful, resisting the fading effects of UV exposure.
- Sunbrella® Fabrics: For poolside furnishings, Sunbrella® fabrics are the go-to for fade-resistant cushions and umbrellas, maintaining their color and integrity season after season.
- Porcelain Tiles: With a low absorption rate and high heat resistance, porcelain tiles are perfect for pool decks, offering a variety of design options without the risk of sun damage.
- Acrylic Concrete Coatings: These coatings are designed to withstand the sun’s intensity, providing a heat-reflective and non-slip surface that keeps pool decks cool and comfortable.
- Aluminum Structures: Aluminum patio covers and pergolas are impervious to rust and discoloration, reflecting sunlight and providing durable, long-lasting shade structures.
9 Unique Arizona Backyard Ideas
Add in Desert-Adapted Plant Life:
Embrace the natural beauty of Arizona by incorporating desert-adapted plants around your pool. These hardy species, like the vibrant Red Yucca or the Blue Agave, add a splash of color and texture while requiring minimal water – perfect for a low-maintenance, eco-friendly backyard. Plus, they’re a natural fit for the local climate, ensuring your landscaping thrives year-round.
Add Shade Structures to Cool Off:
With the Arizona sun in mind, installing shade structures such as pergolas or canopies can make your poolside retreat enjoyable even during the peak hours of sunlight. These structures not only provide a cool respite but also add a stylish architectural element to your backyard. Opt for adjustable designs to enjoy the perfect balance of sunlight and shade throughout the day.
Go for Night Swims with LED Lighting:
As the sun sets, LED lighting can transform your pool area into an enchanting evening escape. Energy-efficient and available in a spectrum of colors, these lights can be installed underwater, along pathways, or within landscaping features to enhance the ambiance and safety of your outdoor space. They’re a simple addition that brings your backyard to life at night, extending the hours of enjoyment.
Elevate your custom-designed pool with the serene addition of water features like cascading waterfalls or gentle bubbling fountains. These features not only create a tranquil soundscape that masks the bustle of the outside world but also circulates the water, keeping it fresh and inviting. When integrated into a custom pool design, they can become the centerpiece, drawing the eye and soothing the soul with their rhythmic flow.
Fire Pits and Bowls:
Introduce an element of warmth and drama to your poolside with custom-designed fire pits or fire bowls. Strategically placed to complement the pool’s shape and design, they can offer a mesmerizing contrast to the cool water, especially in the evenings, and serve as a gathering spot for guests. Incorporating these into your pool area not only extends its use into the cooler nights but also adds a luxurious resort-like feel to your backyard.
Soak in the Sun with Swim-Up Bars and Sun Shelves:
For those who love to entertain, a swim-up bar integrated into your custom pool design brings the luxury of a vacation right to your doorstep. Sun shelves, on the other hand, provide a shallow, sun-warmed area to lounge in the water, perfect for relaxing or supervising young swimmers. These features are tailored to your lifestyle, ensuring that your pool is not just a place to swim, but a multifunctional hub of backyard activity.
Outdoor Kitchen and Dining Oasis:
Merge the joy of cooking with the pleasure of poolside lounging by installing an outdoor kitchen near your pool area. Equipped with a grill, a fridge, and comfortable seating, this space invites you to enjoy alfresco dining with the convenience of home. It’s a perfect spot for summer barbecues or sipping cocktails by the water, enhancing both the functionality and the enjoyment of your outdoor living space.
Zen Garden and Reflection Space:
Imagine a tranquil corner of your backyard where the water’s edge meets a Zen garden, complete with raked sand, smooth stones, and a small reflecting pool. This peaceful retreat can serve as a meditative space to unwind after a swim or to simply sit and enjoy the harmony of water and earth. By integrating this with the pool area, you create a sensory experience that soothes the mind and adds a profound aesthetic dimension to your outdoor space.
Poolside Cabanas and Hammocks:
Introduce a touch of resort luxury with private poolside cabanas or hammocks, providing shaded sanctuaries for relaxation and privacy. These can be designed to match the aesthetic of your pool and landscape, offering a tranquil escape for reading, napping, or simply enjoying the Arizona breeze. They’re a charming addition that elevates the comfort and appeal of your backyard retreat.
Bonus Idea – Backyard Putting Green:
For the golf enthusiast, incorporating a putting green into your backyard offers the perfect blend of leisure and sport. Positioned to complement the pool area without impeding the landscape’s flow, a putting green provides endless hours of entertainment and a unique way to practice your short game just steps from your back door. It’s a fun and luxurious upgrade that makes your backyard a personal playground for all ages.
Smart Tips for Sustaining Your Arizona Pool Paradise
- Opt for native plants in your landscaping to reduce water usage and maintain a garden that thrives in Arizona’s unique climate.
- Consider a variable-speed pool pump for energy efficiency; it can handle the desert heat and save on your electricity bills.
- Choose a pool cover that not only keeps debris out but also conserves water by reducing evaporation in the arid Arizona air.
- Install a smart irrigation system that adjusts watering schedules based on weather conditions to ensure optimal plant health and water conservation.
- Select outdoor furniture with UV-resistant fabrics to prevent fading and maintain the vibrant aesthetic of your poolside decor.
Related and Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best plants to put around a pool in Arizona?
The best plants to put around a pool in Arizona are those that can withstand the heat and require little water, such as Palms, Agave, and Desert Marigold. These plants are not only drought-tolerant but also add a lush look to your poolside without excessive leaf drop, which keeps your pool cleaner.
How much value does a pool add to a home in Arizona?
A pool can add significant value to a home in Arizona, often resulting in an estimated increase of about 5% to 8% in property value. However, the actual added value can vary greatly depending on the pool’s condition, design, and the overall housing market in the specific area.
How do I landscape my yard with a pool?
To landscape your yard with a pool, start by considering the overall aesthetic you wish to achieve and how the pool will integrate with existing or planned features. Choose durable, low-maintenance materials and plants that complement the pool and can endure the local climate, and consider adding functional areas like lounging spaces or an outdoor kitchen for a cohesive and versatile outdoor living area.
Looking for an Arizona pool builder?
Stop dreaming about it, and instead make your dream backyard a reality. Contact nuView Pools & Landscapes to get more swimming pool ideas and turn your backyard into a relaxing oasis. Contact us today to start your yard’s transformation.
Ready for a Nuview?